While healing is a provision in the New Covenant, and the Word of God clearly shows that it is the will of God to heal people, not everyone who is prayed for receives healing. We do not understand all of the reasons for this, but there are some spiritual blocks in a person’s life that will prevent them from being healed. These spiritual blocks hinder us from fully walking in the Spirit and receiving the blessings of God.
If we come to Jesus, in faith, asking Him to heal us, and we do not receive healing after we receive prayer, then the first thing we should do is to examine our lives and the condition of our heart. If the Holy Spirit brings conviction of an area that is blocking us from receiving our healing, then we must confess this as sin, be willing to repent, ask God to not only forgive us, but to cleanse us also. Then He will restore us to a condition where we can receive from Him by faith. (1John 1:9) These spiritual blocks need to be repented for with a heart change.Once you have repented, then receive the grace of God to restore your health.
These are just a few basic reasons people do not receive their healing. This list is not exhaustive, but these are the most common.
- Unforgiveness – Matthew 5:44-48 & 18:21-35; Mark 11:25-26; Luke 6:36-38; John 20:23;
- Ignorance or Lack of Knowledge of the Word of God – Isaiah 5:13-14; Hosea 4:6-7 Wisdom is the proper application of knowledge. “Be a doer of the Word and not a hearer only.” James 1:22 The fear of the Lord activates wisdom.
- Willful Disobedience to the Word of God or Habitual Sin or Family (Generational) – Exodus 20:5; Deuteronomy 5:9; Isaiah 59:1-2; Romans 6:1-2; Romans 6:16 & 23
- Not Having Faith in God/ Unbelief – Hebrews 11:6; Hebrews 11:1; Matthew 21:21; Mark 11:22-24; Mark 6:4-6; Matthew 13:58 & 17:20; Hebrews 3:12, 19;
- Not Being Honest and Transparent – Proverbs 16:17; James 5:16; Galatians 6:1-2
- Letting Fear Enter Your Heart – Job 3:24-26; 4:14-15; Hebrews 11:1; John 14:1; Romans 14:23
- Bitterness/Anger/Resentment – Hebrews 12:15; Psalm 38:3; Eph. 4:31
- Murmuring and Complaining – Numbers 12:1-3, 10-15; I Corinthians 10:10-11; Phil. 2:14-15
- Pursuing signs and wonders – signs and wonders are to follow us (Mark 16:20)
- Expecting God to heal on our terms.
- Rationalism and reasoning instead of child-like faith.
- Looking to man rather than God.
- Involvement in the Occult/New Age/Witchcraft/Freemasonry
- Not discerning the Lord’s body. 1 Cor. 11:27-31 Wrongly discerning what has taken place in the broken body of Jesus. Heb. 10:29
- An unbridled tongue – the tongue is a creative force. Life and death are in the power of the tongue. Mark 11:23-24; Heb. 4:12
- Being problem centered (self-centered) being ruled by fear, rather than being God-centered. Moving in limits. Heb. 5:11-14
- Having a Cessationist viewpoint – the gifts have all passed away.
Causes these kinds of questions:
- Is healing for all?”
- “I am sick for God’s glory.”
- “God allowed me to be sick to teach me something.”
- “I’ll be healed if it is God’s will.”